Wednesday, August 24, 2016

From My Commonplace: On Iniquity

"Our manuscript remarks here that the road of iniquity is indeed wide, but that does not mean that it is a comfortable road to travel; it has its stumbling blocks and its difficult stretches; it is a painful road and a tiring one, although it goes downhill."  (p.337)
 
~Alessandro Manzoni, (trans. Penman), The Betrothed
 
So I'm not quite finished with this yes, and usually I hold off on book recommendations until I have completely finished.   But please do add this book to your to-read pile, if you haven't yet.   This book is a fascinating book for people-watching.  Manzoni takes the time to tell the back-stories of each new character as they are introduced, which gives fascinating insights into their motivations – both their virtues and their vices.  What's really, really interesting is that various characters have basically been embodiments of the ideas I have read about in other books recently, such as Charlotte Mason's writings and Smith's You Are What You Love.  Absolutely fascinating – and all wrapped up in a compelling story.  Everything you might want to find in an epic novel. (Be forwarned - it is over 700 pages!)
 


 
On My Nightstand This Week:
Devotional: 1 Thessalonians with the Paul for Everyone Commentary (NT Wright)
The Daily Office Lectionary Readings and Prayers from The Trinity Mission
 Theological: Surprised by Joy (Lewis)
AO Book Discussion Group: I Promessi Sposi (Manzoni)
On Education: (Between Books)
Personal Choice: Gilead (Robinson)
Poetry: TS Eliot
With my Hubby: Emma (Austen)
Family Read-Aloud Literature: Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)
 
*I am also reading Charlotte Mason's Volume 6 for a local CM book club, but these meetings are infrequent, and it is my third – or fourth? – pass through it and so I just read the brief section assigned as our meetings come up. 
 
 
 
Click Here for more Words
 

No comments:

Post a Comment