Wednesday, June 22, 2016

From My Commonplace: On Patience

"But trust in God!  Do not lose heart, my poor daughters, nor you Renzo.  Believe me, I can put myself in your place, I can feel all that you feel in your heart.  But be patient! Patience is a poor word, a bitter word for those who have no faith. But you, Renzo, can you not give God a day, or two days, or whatever time it pleases him to take, to make justice triumph?  Time belongs to him, and he has promised us so large a portion of it.  Leave things to him…."  (Ch. 7)
 
~Alessandro Manzoni (trans. Penman), The Betrothed
 
This is the book discussion I am currently participating in over on the AmblesideOnline Forum.  What a delight this book has been!  Gripping plot that keeps me wondering what will happen next, beautifully vivid descriptive passages, and little nuggets like this one that cause me to pause and ponder.  Highly recommended.  (This book is scheduled in AmblesideOnline Year 8.)



 
My Bookbag This Week:
Devotional: Galatians with the Paul for Everyone Commentary (NT Wright)
The Daily Office Lectionary Readings and Prayers from The Trinity Mission
 Theological: On The Incarnation (St. Athanasius, with introduction by CS Lewis)
AO Book Discussion Group: I Promessi Sposi (Manzoni)
Personal Choice: Parents and Children (Charlotte Mason)
Whose Body? (Sayers)
Poetry: Collected Poems 1909-1962 (TS Eliot)
With my Hubby: Emma (Austen)
Family Read-Aloud Literature: Little Britches (Moody)
 
*I am also reading Charlotte Mason's Volume 6 for a local CM book club, but these meetings are infrequent, and it is my third – or fourth? – pass through it and so I just read the brief section assigned as our meetings come up.   
 
 



 
 
 
 
Click Here for more Words
 

No comments:

Post a Comment