Wednesday, October 14, 2015

From My Commonplace: Poetry by Sara Teasdale

A smattering of the poems I have been enjoying with my Year 3 student recently:
 
Vignettes Overseas: Stresa
The moon grows out of the hills
A yellow flower,
The lake is a dreamy bride
Who waits her hour.
 
Beauty has filled my heart,
It can hold no more,
It is full, as the lake is full,
From shore to shore.
 
 
Stars
Alone in the night
On a dark hill
With pines around me
Spicy and still,
 
And a heaven full of stars
Over my head,
White and topaz
And a misty red;
 
Myriads with beating
Hearts of fire
That aeons
Cannot vex or tire;
 
Up the dome of heaven
Like a great hill,
I watch them marching
Stately and still,
 
And I know that I
Am honored to be
Witness
Of so much majesty.
 
 
The Coin
Into my heart's treasury
I slipped a coin
That time cannot take
Nor a thief purloin, --
Oh better than minting of a gold-crowned king
Is the safe-kept memory
Of a lovely thing.
 
~Sara Teasdale
 


My Bookbag This Week:
Devotional: Job with a commentary: Job: The Wisdom of the Cross (Ash)
Theological or Christian Living:  Openness Unhindered (Butterfield)
AO Book Discussion Group: Ivanhoe (Scott)
On Education: Mind to Mind (Mason and Glass)
Shakespeare: Hamlet (aiming to read a scene-a-day alongside my daughter's Shakespeare class at our co-op.  Don't we all need a little more Shakespeare in our lives?!)
Novel/Biography/Memoir:  The Rosemary Tree (Goudge)
Read-Alouds with the Children:  The Little White Horse (Goudge), Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan), Charlotte's Web (White)


 
Click Here for more Words
 

3 comments:

  1. Vincent chose Stars to memorize last year. We really enjoyed Teasdale's poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever heard of Sara Teasdale before. (Year 3 is still coming, for me.) These are beautiful. I especially like "Stars".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think Sara Teasdale has been our favorite poet thus far. With Christina Rosetti as a close second. :)

    ReplyDelete